Why is my website slow?
Website speed matters. In fact it is one of our main priorities when helping our clients optimize their websites. Site speed affects how well your website ranks, how much traffic you get from the Search Engines and how your visitors engage on the website. Ultimately, a slow website speed can cost you a lot of money.
Remember that before a page can load there are a number of steps that must be completed:
- Person types the URL into their web browser (Chrome, Safari, etc).
- Web browser performers an SSL handshake.
- Web browser connects to the server.
- Web browser sends data to the server.
- Web browser waits to receive data from the server.
- Web browser receives data from the server.
- Web browser loads data on your computer screen.
A slow down can occur at any step. Often the problem arises from not one but several issues. Here are a few main areas that commonly cause slow website load times:
- Your site server and host is slow to respond.
- Image and video files are too large.
- Complex coding issues can be a nightmare for website slowdowns
- Archived content could be hiding several problems
- A combination of these and other problems could be the cause.
The slow load problems could be buried beneath several issues that have built up through time and page revisions.
If you are running into site speed problems contact us! Our site speed experts can help you pinpoint the reasons for site speed problems and provide recommendations on how to fix each problem.
Watch our Site Speed Slideshow to learn more or call us at 1-888-262-6687.