Last Updated on
This morning a recent study by Gallup Economy on how our tech tastes have changed caught my attention. Conducted in early December 2013 the study results show that internet-connected devices are growing in popularity. This means that your business website is being accessed by almost anyone, anywhere and on all types of device and that you must be prepared with a website that is compatible with the demands and restrictions unique to each device.
Here are the results of how more than 1,000 American adults responded when asked if they personally own specific types of devices.
Yes, have (2005) %
Yes, have (2013) %
|DVD or Blu-ray player|
|Wireless Internet access, or Wi-Fi, in your home|
|Smartphone, that is, a cellular phone that has built-in applications and Internet access, such as an iPhone of Android|
|Basic cellular phone that is not a smartphone|
|iPod or MP3 music player|
|Video game system, such as Xbox of PlayStation|
|An Internet streaming service like Hulu, Netflix or Roku|
|Tablet computer such as an iPad or Kindle Fire|
|E-reader, such as a Kindle or Nook|
Source: Gallup Economy
The stats that stand out from a Web Design and SEO perspective include:
- Desktop computers (57%) are becoming almost as obsolete as VCRs (58%). This suggests that screen sizes your website is being displayed on is shrinking … fast!
- Ownership of laptop computers has nearly doubled since 2005, showing consumer’s desire to have portable electronic devices. Screen sizes for laptops are typically smaller than for desktops.
- Nearly 4 out of 10 respondents own a tablet, which means a website that is thumb friendly is growing in importance.
- More than 6 out of 10 respondents have a smartphone with Apps and Internet access, and 73% of homes have WiFi. This means even if people are in their homes they can be accessing your website from their phone and need a website that is usable on a small screen.
The key takeaway is that consumers are become more and more portable or mobile with how they use electronics. They also own a range of electronic devices to access the internet which warrants a mobile friendly website design.
Stop and think: Is your website providing a good experience for all your visitors and from all their devices, regardless of screen size and functionality (ex. touchscreen)?
Do older generations use Smarthpones and Tablets?
The study goes on to compare electronic device ownership within the 65+ generation. Does it surprise you that:
- 1 in 4 people over the age of 65 own a Smarthpone?
- 1 in 4 people over the age of 65 own a Tablet?
This is proof that even if you claim your target market is an older generation that isn’t tech savvy that they are becoming more mobile in their Internet devices.
Here are 3 quick reasons for a mobile responsive website:
- Search Engines favor them in mobile search results.
- Non-mobile websites can be very hard to use on Smartphones and Tablets, often causing your visitor to give up and find an easier to use website.
- Mobile responsive websites are still fairly new and you can gain big advantages by getting on board before your competition.
Read more about Mobile Web Design in these articles:
If you are wondering how to go mobile with your website in 2014 give us a call at 888-262-6687. We can help you understand your mobile potential and exactly what is needed to optimize your mobile presence.