Last Updated on
Many website owners and SEO’s started noticing changes in rankings in early May although Google kept saying there were no updates. Some were even calling it the “Phantom Update” because everyone noticed something was happening but Google wouldn’t acknowledge it.
Finally Google confirmed with Search Engine Land that there were changes to its core ranking algorithm in terms of how it processes quality signals.
In the first few days of confirmation the May 2015 Google update is being affectionately called the Quality Update. Google has not recently given any specifics of how they now measure quality but based on past statements and Webmaster Guidelines we can know that quality is measured through a wide range of factors. It is likely Google is shifting the importance weighting of some factors or even considering new quality factors in the mix.
In the past Google has given us insight into how to create quality which still holds true today:
“The key to creating a great website is to create the best possible experience for your audience with original and high quality content. If people find your site useful and unique, they may come back again or link to your content on their own websites. This can help attract more people to your site over time.”
Does your website pass Google’s quality test? Have you noticed a change in ranks or traffic lately? Do you have a strong, quality website that not only maintained its positioning but perhaps gained in rankings this May?
Here’s some tips for writing valuable and quality content straight from Google if you need help boosting the quality of your website:
- Make your website useful and informative – gather all the information your visitors are looking for and will need, and organize it so it is easy to find.
- Make your website more valuable and useful than your competitors – do something different, say more than others, add different perspectives, and stand out in a good way.
- Make your website credible – you want visitors to trust you and the information on your site by citing sources, adding testimonials, sharing author biographies, and including other trust factors such as badges and awards.
- Make your website engaging – you need to interact with your visitors through pictures of your products or team.
- Make sure your website stays up to date – you can add a blog, comments boxes, social media widgets, or an events page to keep your website fresh.
- Make your content perfect – you need to double and triple check for spelling, stylistic and factual errors throughout your website.
- Make your website distraction-free – make sure visitors don’t leave your site because of excessive ads, spam, or glaring mistakes in information.
At 1st on the List we offer both Site Audits and Content Optimization to help assess the current quality score of your website and add new content to your website that Google will love to read and rank.
Call us at 1-888-262-6687 ext 705 to get more information today!