There are pay per click advertising advantages and disadvantages.
Perhaps the best pay per click advertising advantage is that PPC is a great way to instantly get highly targeted, pre-qualified visitors on your website.
The main disadvantage of pay per click PPC advertising may be its popularity. Because PPC ads have become so increasingly competitive, some businesses may find that PPC bid prices are beyond sustainability. Still, online advertising with PPC can be a highly effective short term method of marketing your website.
Before diving into PPC advertising it is advisable to weigh the pros and cons of PPC search engine advertising to determine how well PPC online advertising will fit into your online marketing strategy. Here’s an overview of pay per click advertising advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Pay Per Click Advertising
- Buy Qualified Traffic – Pay per click advertising results are immediate and deliver highly targeted, motivated traffic. These visitors are actively looking for the products or service you have to offer.
- Targeted Website Traffic – All PPC ad campaigns allow you to target specific subsets of searchers, especially Ad Retargeting, which displays your ad to someone who recently visited your website.
- Niche Market Strategy – The advantage of niche marketing is that you can target your pay per click PPC advertising campaign to reach specific niche markets, days of the week, times of the day, and target specific cities or specific countries.
- Seasonal Marketing Strategies – You can decide to run your pay per click ads during a slow season when you need more sales or simply turn your PPC ads off. You can also increase your pay per click advertising during a busy holiday season when you know people are actively searching and buying. With PPC ads you also have the flexibility to set what hours and what days your ads will be shown.
- Double Branding Exposure – Many large brands with top search engine listings will also run PPC ads to get their website listed twice on the first page of the search engine results – attaining a top Paid Ad listing along with their top organic listing.
- Measurable ROI – This is one of the major advantages of pay per click advertising. Using PPC analytics you can easily measure your pay per click campaign results for return on investment and immediately determine what is working and what is not working.
- Full Control – You are always in full control of all aspects of your pay per click advertising management campaign and your PPC costs.
Pay Per Click Advertising Disadvantages
The following outlines the disadvantages of pay per click advertising as a long-term online marketing strategy.
- Search Engine Optimization vs. Pay Per Click Advertising – SEO can often attain top first page listings in the organic search results that are sustainable and enjoy longevity. We generally recommend search engine optimization as a primary online marketing strategy and pay per click PPC advertising as a short-term solution while you work on and improve your SEO strategies.
- Temporary Listing Results – The main disadvantage of pay per click advertising is that the moment a specified budget runs out, your listings will disappear.
- Increasing PPC Advertising Costs – Another disadvantage is that pay per click advertising bids can become quite expensive especially if you get into a bidding war with a competitor or you are in a competitive industry to start with.
- Fewer Clicks than Organic – Studies show that on average, about 85% of online searchers will click on organic listings first and only 10-15% will click on a PPC sponsored ad.
- Dynamic Market – Another pay per click advertising disadvantage is that PPC is a very dynamic market that is constantly changing as your competitors attempt to outbid you. Pay per click ads must be monitored and adjusted constantly and it takes great expertise to set up and maintain your PPC ads properly.
- DIY or Hire a PPC Ad Professional – Very few car owners have the skill or the time to fix their own cars. The same is true for pay per click advertising. Under bidding, over bidding, and bidding on the wrong keywords are common mistakes that can cost website owners dearly when they try to do pay per click PPC advertising themselves. We always recommend hiring a PPC professional.
Ask Us for a Pay Per Click Advertising Quote
1st on the List has been offering a full range of SEO and pay per click management services to clients in Canada and the US since 1997. If you need help setting up a new PPC advertising campaign or if you wish to take advantage of our pay per click advertising expertise to improve your existing PPC advertising efforts, please contact our 1st on the List PPC experts.
We can develop and manage a highly effective pay per click advertising campaign to deliver the results you want.