We’ve all heard the term “Content is King” but are we actually writing content that deserves royal treatment?
Content needs to be original, desirable and relevant but are there more concrete quality content guidelines to use while writing?
At 1st on the List we’ve compiled this quick quality content checklist to help you write great content that is appealing for both your visitors and for the Search Engines in a post Google Panda world.
- Write with a specific purpose and audience in mind, from start to finish.
- Help the reader complete a task or answer a question.
- Make sure your content includes all the information your reader may be looking for about the topic.
- Make the content relevant and timely.
- Write content in a voice that represents your brand and keep a consistent style of writing.
- Write for your audience and not your peers; stay away from industry jargon.
- Stay on topic; each sentence should have a purpose.
- Write without promoting yourself or coming off as too salesy.
- Link to good sources.
- Double check all your facts, stats and sources.
- Organize text into sections with headers, quotes, bullet points and so on, with plenty of white space, so that it is visually appealing.
- Make the content easy to scan as readers will read as little as 20% of the words on the page.
- Write a clear and concise Title to catch attention and indicate what content is about.
- Be sure to proofread multiple times and ask someone else to proofread once you think it’s perfect.
- Provide clear action statements to encourage readers to take a next step.
- Make the content easy for readers to share through Social Platforms.
- Organize text into thematic sections with synonyms, related terms and phrases.
- Write a strong Meta Title and Description that isn’t too long or short for the SERPs.
- Don’t overuse your primary keyword for the sake of SEO; be sure to use related terms and synonyms.
- Clearly define yourself as the author on the page for both readers and Search Engines to recognize.
- Make sure your content is 100% unique and provides unique value not found anywhere else. Is your content adding anything new and of interest to the Internet or is it just rewriting someone else’s thoughts?
- Aim for a minimum of 300 words, depending on the type of content you are creating, and strive for 1,000 words; never compromise quality for quantity.
And of course, you can always refer to Google’s guidelines of high quality content to see how your writing measures up. Some of their hardest questions to ask yourself as a writer are:
- Would you trust the information presented in this article?
- How much quality control is done on content?
- Does the article describe both sides of a story?
- Does this article provide a complete or comprehensive description of the topic?
- Does this article contain insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
- Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
Do you need assistance writing content for your website or optimizing and improving the existing content on our website? Give our Professional Copy Writers a call at 1-888-262-6687 or fill out our quick form to get in touch today.