The popular SEO authority Search Engine Land recently shared an article by Stephan Spencer titled, “Understanding & Explaining A Realistic SEO Timeline”.
While there has never been a simple answer to the age old question How long does SEO take to kick in, Spencer explains several factors that can impact your SEO timeline and how long it will take before you start seeing results.
Here is the TLDR (Too Long Didn’t Read) Version:
- There are many variables going on with your SEO such as design, code, previous SEO efforts and so on.
- SEO is a team effort and depends on the cooperation of many team members as SEO is essentially managing the entire movement for the direction of the site.
- The technical side of SEO is like troubleshooting and it isn’t always evident why rankings are fluctuating.
- When rankings or conversion rates do not improve immediately after implementing site changes you may not be able to just “SEO it faster” because uncontrollable factors such as manual penalties, competition, and how often Search Engines refresh their index come into play.
- SEO can be compared to Fitness in that it is about correcting problems in the present and about taking preventative measures and continual improvement for the future.
- Like fitness, you don’t just stop SEO once you’ve achieved your goal. SEO needs to be maintained for optimal results.
- It is important to take the time to assess the situation and plan both short and long term strategies.
This is why at 1st on the List we carefully take the time to assess your current website’s health, competitors’ efforts and your industry to develop short and long term strategies in order to reach your goals.
Each of our custom SEO Campaigns start with a comprehensive Site Audit so we fully understand what is going on in the background of your site. This enables us to set realistic timelines with your team for making corrections for continual improvement.